This edition features:
- 01 Founding story
- 01 Book review
- 01 Investment news
- 01 Company deep dive
- 04 Recommended readings
The founding history: Shombhob Health and a case study in starting small
- Shombhob Health is an online store located in Dhaka that specializes in selling healthcare and pharmacy items. The company offers a range of products including medicines, toiletries, and baby and pet care products, which are delivered straight to the customer's doorstep. The company is focused on utilizing technology to enhance the well-being of people. Read.
Future Startup Marketing Services: Our brand partners for content and newsletter ads keep us going all year long. Click here for info.
Book Review: Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive through the Dangers of Leading by Ronald A. Heifetz and Marty Linsky
- "Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading” by Ronald Heifetz and Marty Linsky is a thought-provoking and insightful book on the challenges of leadership. Heifetz, a professor of public leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School, draws on his extensive experience in teaching and advising leaders to offer a comprehensive and practical guide for anyone who wants to lead effectively in today's complex and changing world. Read.
Company Deep Dive: Amarlab
- AmarLab is a health mobility startup that works at the intersection of healthcare, logistics, and data to make healthcare accessible to everyone, everywhere. The logistic of life-saving health diagnostics has been broken for decades. AmarLab brings diagnostics to customers' doorsteps and handles all the logistics.
- AmarLab has created the largest scalable platform for the healthcare diagnostics ecosystem in Bangladesh.
- Customers can select their preferred lab, get diagnostic testing done from their home, office, or any location of their choice, access all their health records in one place, view history, and trends, and make informed decisions to stay healthy.
- Read our coverage of Amarlab here.
Startup Bangladesh invests in country’s first diagnostic marketplace AmarLab
- Startup Bangladesh, the flagship venture capital firm of Bangladesh's ICT Division, has announced its investment in AmarLab, a healthcare startup dedicated to improving healthcare services in the country through innovative technology solutions.
- The organizations signed an agreement to invest 1 crore BDT in AmarLab's Pre-Seed round in Dhaka recently. Read.
Founder Interview from the archive
Rayana Hossain on growing ISHO, designing organizational dynamism, furniture business, and upsides of being yourself
Rayana Hossain is the founder and CEO of ISHO, a Dhaka-based furniture brand. From a humble beginning, ISHO has grown to become one of the fastest-growing furniture brands in Bangladesh. The company claims to be the number one online furniture brand in the country and is now eyeing expansion beyond Bangladesh.
ISHO is a fascinating company. Achieving fast growth is not the only thing that separates the company, ISHO has built an equally fascinating organization over the years. And companies and founders would be wise to pay attention to the emerging furniture behemoth in Dhaka.
I recently had an opportunity to speak with Ms. Rayana. We talk about the evolution of ISHO, what separates ISHO from other local and global furniture brands, the dynamics of the furniture business, how ISHO has built a culture of relentless dynamism, secrets behind ISHO's excellent growth, her approach to work and leadership, and how building ISHO from scratch has changed her as a founder, her thoughts on design and organization, the ambition of ISHO going forward, why a constant outward-looking orientation can limit our growth, and much more.
Read the full interview.
Fascinating readings from across the interview: