1. Direct contribution to GDP: According to World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), direct contribution to GDP of travel and tourism in 2014 was 296.6 Billion Taka (1.9% of total GDP) and is forecast to rise by 5.1% in 2015. In 2025 amount is predicted to be BDT 556.3 Bn (2% of total GDP).
2. Total Contribution to GDP: In terms of total contribution of travel and tourism to GDP was BDT 627.9Bn (4.1% of GDP) in 2014 and was expected to rise 6% in 2015. In 2025 it is expected to grow to BDT 1252 Bn (4.4% of total GDP).
3. Direct Contribution to Employment: In 2014 travel and tourism directly supported 903,500 jobs(1.6% of total employment). This was expected to rise by 2.1% in 2015.
4. Total Contribution to Employment: While total contribution, including employment in support industries, was 3.6% (1980,000 jobs) in 2014. It was expected to increase by 2.2% in 2015 (2028,500 jobs) and 3.6% in 2025 (2492,000 total jobs).
5. Long Term Growth ( 2015-2025): Travel and tourism is expected to grow and contribute around 6.1% of GDP by 2025.
6. Capital Investment: In 2014 BDT 60.9 Bn (1.4 percent of total investment) has invested in travel and tourism sector. According to WTTC, it should rise by 2.7% in 2015 and 7.8% over the next ten years to BDT 132.1 Bn (1.6% of total investment) in 2025.
7. Visitor Export: Money spent by foreign visitor to a country ( or visitor export) is a key component of the direct contribution of Travel and Tourism. In 2014, Bangladesh generated BDT 10.2Bn in visitor exports.
8. International Visitors: By 2025, International tourists are forecasted to be 652,000, generating expenditure of BDT 18.4bn.
9. Domestic Vs Foreign spending: Domestic Travel spending generated 97.9% in 2014 and 2.1% comes from foreign visitors spending.
10. Leisure Vs Business Spending: Leisure spending generate 78% (BDT 389bn, both inbound and domestic) of Travel & Tourism, rest 22% (BDT 110bn) comes from Business travelling.
11. World Ranking in terms of sector’s GDP contribution: Out of 184 countries Bangladesh holds 68th position in terms of absolute size (GDP contribution) in 2014 and 168 Relative size.
12. World Ranking According to World Economic Forum’s report: Global travel and tourism readiness index says Bangladesh stands in 127th (2.9 score) out of total 141 countries. This index is expressed 1 (worst) to 7 (best) score in a scale measured based on 90 indicators.
13. Market Size: Total Market size of Bangladesh’s tourism industry was BDT 460.3 Bn in 2014.
14. Visitor Arrival by purpose: According to Bangladesh tourism board data in 2009, 46% visits for tourism purpose. 41% for business. 2.4% for study and 3.4 % for religious cause.