Entrepreneurship, Technology, and Society | 07 January 2023 | No. 54
Hello there: Welcome to another edition of FS Weekly. I'm Ruhul. I convene Future Startup Weekly to help you understand entrepreneurship and the technology landscape in Bangladesh and beyond.
This edition features:
First, FS Talk Jan 2023 is here: We’re hosting 2023’s first virtual FS Talk featuring Reyasat Chowdhury, Co-Founder, and CEO of Shuttle on 28th January. The event will take place online. It would be wonderful if you join us. It is a free event, but you have to register to get an invitation. Details and registration here.
Future Startup Interviews, Face to Face, and Founder Stories, became its own distinct brand in 2022, befitting its weekly schedule and increasing the importance of our overall work. Following is a list of some of the best interviews we published throughout 2022. Read the collection.
1. The wisdom of Bangladeshi businessmen: I have been meaning to write about business culture in Bangladesh for a long time. In particular, about how Bangladeshi businessmen, outside of now growing startup narrative, build businesses and what we can learn from them. One thing that has struck me for a while is that Bangladeshi businessmen are extremely business savvy, they generally make better decisions, and there is a pattern in how they approach business. I believe it will immensely be beneficial if we could decode some of these lessons. Read.
2. OnnoRokom BigganBaksho: Making science and learning fun and fascinating for kids: Fixing science education in Bangladesh will require major policy adjustments and other changes. But making science popular among children and young adults should be a relatively easier task. While it will not solve the entirety of the decline of science problem, it can significantly increase the number of kids who will want to become scientists when they grow up. Igniting that dream in itself should be an amazing feat. This is where OnnoRokom Bigganbaksho, a locally designed and made science kit in Bangladesh comes into play. Read.
3. 10 life-changing books to begin your new year: Reading is an incredibly valuable and enriching activity for people. Reading can be many things for you at once. Reading is an excellent leisure activity. It helps you exercise your brain, and improve your memory and cognitive function. You can also consider books as problem-solving tools. Read.
4. How financial institutions ensure stability and uninterrupted customer service through complex risk management initiatives: People today want to understand how financial institutions manage risks and ensure uninterrupted service to customers. They want to learn about the risk management initiatives of financial institutions. This is partly because of recent events in the financial industry that have made the industry a regular daily news topic. There are many reasons behind the current state of the financial sector in Bangladesh. But it has done one good thing — it has created a general interest and awareness about the functioning of the financial industry in Bangladesh. Read.
Our brand partners for content and newsletter ads keep us going all year long. Click here for info.
1. EkkBaz raises $500,000 in funding, aims to expand operations in Bangladesh, Singapore, and Vietnam: EkkBaz, a B2B marketplace with an embedded financing platform for small businesses, is pleased to announce that it has raised USD 500,000 in funding from Haitou Global, KeyStone Capital, Artesian, and Enterprise Singapore
Osudpotro was founded in 2020 by Ashfaqur Rahman at the height of the coronavirus pandemic. Due to movement restrictions and also from out of fear of infection, people avoided going out unless there was an emergency. This was a challenge for people who needed medicine but didn’t want to go outside. In many instances, nearby pharmacies were shut down. Osudpotro saw an opportunity in the situation and entered the vertical.
1. Every January, Make Two Lists: one list about things you want to do more and one about the things you want to do less. Far superior strategy to live a good life.
3. There are 3 layers to a moment: Your experience, your awareness of the experience and your story about the experience. Be mindful of the story. Read the full thing.
If you enjoy reading Future Startup, I would be grateful if you share it with other people who might find it inspirational and educational — post it on Facebook/LinkedIn, send it to your friends and Whatsapp group chats, and share it up. I can’t exaggerate how much it helps us to grow and do more great work.
Thank you for reading.