Product or service launch success is inextricably intertwined with positive media coverage. It inspires word of mouth and creates buzz which subsequently increase sales and profit. However, having a good marriage with media and getting positive review on your market offerings are indeed two daunting tasks to be accomplished. But it’s not impossible. Here I’ll be trying to put some practical tips on how to get positive media review.
1. Plan ahead and create a check list of dos and don’ts.
2. Decide on budget, time, people and any other important issues.
3. Decide which media outlets are more critical for your product to have a positive public attention, specially, your target market. Example: if yours is a beauty product then having featured on The Daily Star “ Life” supplement would be more effective. But if it’s a tech offering then it must be shown on tech page. Besides, decisions also be taken on whether you should focus more on TV coverage or FM radio or News Paper, or Social media platforms.
4. Decide on strategy based on your above decisions.
5. Create a media team with people interested to work in the team along with prior experience in similar activities (if feasible). If you don’t have such personnel under your belt train some interested people.
6. Appointing a PR firm to look after media activities can be the best option. But if you can’t afford the cost then don’t be disappointed there are other ways to bell the cat.
7. Prepare your press materials. Make sure all materials are written/prepared by expert or someone experienced.
8. Recheck your press materials twice before final approval.
9. Important press materials are: press releases, product pitch, reviews by relevant experts (if required pay for some positive reviews), etc.
10. Arrange a launching press conference with the presence of reporters and media personnel.
11. Keep eyes on online platforms. Open a facebook page, create events. Use LinkedIn and Twitter too.
12. Inspire planned conversations on popular blogs and social media platforms.
13. Contact with some credible connectors and market mavens and request them to review your product.
14. Make sure at least two to three experts/reporters will be covering time to time updates of your product.
15. Connect with some selected customers, the number can vary from 20-200, and make sure they are satisfied with your offerings. Request them to spread your news.
Positive media coverage has a profound impact on sales of a new or old product. A start-up should deploy full force to get positive media attention/review. The task could be done by both ways: paid and unpaid. However, till date unpaid or impliedly paid media coverage has yielded significantly positive result in sales and in creating buzz compare to paid coverage.